This whitepaper will share with you various principles and design considerations that should be taken into account for redesigning an existing facility - or designing a new facility. A well designed facility needs to avoid the common pitfalls that occur with the flow of goods and people through a facility, space planning and the use of various material handling equipment.
This guide will assist your operational team with understanding the following aspects:
- Maximizing the available cube of the facility.
- How processes such as slotting can, and should, influence the design of a facility.
- Considerations for optimizing the the flow through the facility and reducing bottlenecks.
- Considering how much dock space is needed.
- How growth should factor into the design process.
- Planning space needs for operational support such as lift truck charging, packing supplies, shipping lines and on the floor workstations.
- Ways to consider returns management space needs.
- Racking options and aisle widths.
- How automation impacts space needs in a facility design.